Anyone know what kind of meat probe/thermocouple that Masterbuilt uses (like type K)?

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by boldham, Apr 2, 2017.

  1. boldham

    boldham Newbie

    Hi there,first post. I just got a used electric Masterbuilt smoker and the meat probe doesn't work. I know I can get the same replacement probe, but I was hoping to replace with a probe of my choosing (smaller diameter). I would also like to continue to use the built-in electronics because I have a wireless remote and enjoy the ability to see meat temps remotely.

    Thanks for any feedback, Brendan
  2. smokinal

    smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

    You would be much better off buying a dual probe remote therm like a Maverick.

    The temp controller & meat probe in the MES are notoriously inaccurate.

  3. johnnyb54

    johnnyb54 Smoke Blower

    Like SmokinAl said get a dedicated thermometer. I have a Maverick and they are a decent unit but they are notorious for having proble problems. I now use and highly recommend Thermoworks Smoke. ( It's receiver range is greayer them the Maverick, it can use ambient, meat waterproof probes. It records high low range during a cook and shortly they will be introducing a WiFi gateway and app for offsite monitoring.

Share This Page