anybody out there, need advice asap

Discussion in 'Pork' started by meatball, Jun 12, 2009.

  1. meatball

    meatball Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

    Hey guys...
    I have an 8.5# butt on the smoker right now. It's just about ready to go in the cooler for the finish, but it's 12:15 on the east coast and I'm getting tired. Don't know if I can stick it out until it's ready to pull tonight. Would it still be OK if I pulled it in the a.m. or would it get overcooked? I don't want to serve rubber, but not sure a 2 a.m. pork pull is ideal for me tonight. The only thing keeping me awake is this great OT hoops game. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. forluvofsmoke

    forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    I would go ahead and foil it with a brasing liquid (fruit juice works good with the acid base, or what ever else you like), and run your temp down around 210 if you can. It will slowly creep up to that 205* range by morning. This is providing that you will have time to pull it after you wake up in the next 4 to 5 hours.

    Also, make sure your smoker will run safely while unattended. Don't want someone or something getting burned up or set on fire.

    Good luck!

  3. bcfishman

    bcfishman Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

    Should be OK so long as you're not waking up at noon. If you're going to be up at a decent time, it should be fine. I've had em sit for 8 hours before with no problems.

    Hope this helps.
  4. fire it up

    fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Bring it up to the 205, wrap in a towel and toss in the cooler or off oven, whichever you use. I have let a butt sit for 7 hours in a cooler and it was still above the danger zone.
    It was just as moist and delicious as it would have been after only a few hours resting. Double wrap in foil and make sure it is a good thickness on the towel, otherwise double wrap that also.
  5. meatball

    meatball Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

    Eric, good advice and I was thinking about doing that, but I think I'll let it sit foiled in the cooler instead. It was already in the 200* range and I'd hate to leave the smoker on and unattended for too long. You just never know and I always feel the need to check on it every hour or so at least. Kick @ss, thanks BCFishMan. I won't be getting up at noon - that's my main concern. I don't have to work in the morning, but my kids will have me up at 7 and if I want to keep up with them all day and work in the afternoon, I need at least a few hours of shuteye. Anyway, you guys were a big help at easing my mind. Be sure to check out my Q view tomorrow.
  6. meatball

    meatball Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

    Thanks FIU. Yeah, I got 'er buried between two pretty thick towels and double wrapped in heavy duty foil in the cooler and I'm sure I'll be up by 6:30 or 7.
  7. forluvofsmoke

    forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Ah, silly me...I mis-read your statment on the coolering...thought you said getting ready for I must be gettin' tired! lol !

    Yea, you'll be fine to cooler it.

    Take 'er easy and get some shut worries.


Share This Page