Advice needed - good wood for hot wings...

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by solidbob, Apr 12, 2016.

  1. solidbob

    solidbob Fire Starter

    I've spent a lot of time in the past experimenting with different wood and sauces etc and I've had some really good results. This year I'm looking for a bit of consistency. I'm looking into making wings for a little pop-up at a friend's bar and I need to get my act together.

    Basically, I'm looking to do some smoked/fried wings with both a traditional buffalo sauce and a spicy chipotle/buffalo sauce. I've got the sauces down pretty well. Looking for some advice on what kind of wood goes well with chicken and these sauces. I'm about to put an order in to Amaz-n for more pellets and dust. Any recommendations on what to try?

  2. phatbac

    phatbac Smoking Fanatic

    I like pecan or cherry on my chicken. Esp pecan because it brings a nutty flavor to the chicken.

    Happy Smoking,

    phatbac (Aaron)
  3. travisty

    travisty Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

    For the last couple of years I have been bouncing between ALL KINDS of woods, and literally have 3 large plastic totes full in the garage, but throughout trying everything I could find, I came to 2 favorites which I use for everything (except my bacon, which I still use hickory), and both of these are especially good on thighs/wings: 

    I use a 50/50 Oak, Peach mix about 85% of the time (they come as premixed pellets), and the other 15% I use these Jack Daniels white oak recycled whiskey barrels chips, unfortunately they don't have that type in pellet form, but they do have the Jack Daniels ageing charcoal in pellet form, and I've been told it produces the same flavor.

    As a note, I recently tried the "pitmasters choice" mix that Amaze does, and I was not a huge fan on the chicken and the butt that I did with it. 
  4. travisty

    travisty Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

    I also agree with phatbac, Pecan is probably my other favorite, it is the most versatile IMHO and you cant go wrong with it.
  5. Hello.  I'm with Aaron here.  2/3 pecan and 1/3 cherry.  You could cut down the portions andadd a little oak but I would stay with the pecan and cherry.  I would stay away from hickory and mesquite.  I LOVE mesquite but it is not to everyone's taste.  Just my opinion.  Keep Smokin!

  6. solidbob

    solidbob Fire Starter

    Thanks all, very helpful. I love hickory and mesquite but they seem to have more of their own unique flavor which might not mix well with heavily sauced chicken. I'll definitely try some pecan, cherry and peach. I'll look out for that JD stuff too. Maybe a bit more experimentation is in order!
  7. 60/40 almond/cherry(or apple, peach) mix has been a success here. 

    Any of the milder fruit woods doesn't overpower the chicken and adds a subtle sweetness. 
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  8. travisty

    travisty Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

    Y'all have inspired me! I think perhaps on my next chicken smoke ill try a mix or Pecan/ Cherry/Jack Daniels. perhaps like 50/30/20. that might be a good combo for you @Solidbob.

    I like the JD because it adds a hint of whiskey flavor (it really does) and that might add a nice touch for that bar food, plus it would be cool to say on your menu that you "use some recycled JD barrels to smoke your wings"!
  9. smokinal

    smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

    Since the wings will only be in the smoker 80 to 90 minutes, I always use mesquite.

    It has a heavy smoke flavor, but since the wings will only be exposed to it for a short time.

    They won't take up that much smoke.

  10. solidbob

    solidbob Fire Starter

    Thanks for the advice everyone? Just got notice my new supply of pellets and dust got delivered from Amaz-N. Excited to start experimenting!

Share This Page