Masterbuilt electric chip smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeFreaky

Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
So we got this last week and didnt realize it was a chip not a pellet smoker. Well last week I got more smoke from the pellets and this week the chips are really lacking smoke. Manual says not to use pellets but at this point they seem to work better. I am old school wood smoker and decided to try this as it appear to be less hassle but no smoke ring at all .. So.. thoughts on what I should do. I have some chips in water as i would do with my old smoker to get it to smoke more. I use 99% hickory chips and have the hickory pellets too

Welcome, don't hold your breath waiting on a smoke ring because it wont happen, you can get 1 with a pellet smoker but not a electric, nobody can tell any difference in taste smoke ring or not, shag bark hickory along with pellets or chips in a tube will boost the smoke flavor, I always got plenty loading the chips but having to refill was a pain, a smoke tube will last longer.

Welcome, don't hold your breath waiting on a smoke ring because it wont happen, you can get 1 with a pellet smoker but not a electric, nobody can tell any difference in taste smoke ring or not, shag bark hickory along with pellets or chips in a tube will boost the smoke flavor, I always got plenty loading the chips but having to refill was a pain, a smoke tube will last longer.

do i just lay it on the bottom after its lit? how easy to take it out (which i prefer not to open the door unless i have to) and reload?

Thanks for this tip

Manual says not to use pellets but at this point they seem to work better.
Don't load pellets in the chip tray . You're asking for trouble doing that . Get a tray or tube if you want to use pellets , and mixing in the wood chips with pellets in the tube works .

Loading the pellets in the chip tray itself , you run the risk of an explosion .

I have some chips in water as i would do with my old smoker to get it to smoke more.
Most don't do that with a electric smoker . If it works and you like it , then that's what you should do . My opinion is black / dirty smoke .

Reactions: smokeFreaky
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky