Safe to eat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

linvillegorge

Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Smoked a brisket yesterday and pulled it at 1am at 205 degrees. I've held them in my oven at 170 overnight before and felt that didn't work great for me. Seemed overcooked.

Anyway, wrapped it in a blanket and chucked it in a cooler preheated with hot water. Figured I'd pull it in the morning and put it in the oven at 170 for a couple hours to bring the temp back up then cooler hold it again before dinner tonight at 6ish.

Well, checked the temp this morning at it was 130. Uh oh. No big deal though, probably hasn't been sub-140 for long so just chuck it in the oven for a bit. Me being dumb and just not thinking it didn't occur to me that I should put it in at 275 or so to bring the temp back up quickly then drop it down to 170 to hold it for awhile. I put it on at 170. I just checked it thinking I'd pull it to put it back in the cooler and it's only reading at 145. Now I'm concerned about the time it spent sub-140. I'm thinking it probably spent 5ish maybe up to 6 hours in the 130s.

What say you?

Reactions: JLeonard
Was it wrapped in paper and or foil?
If so, I say safe. It was essentially a pasteurized environment inside. Personally I'd serve it.
Yeah. Wrapped in paper to finish it, then wrapped foil over top of that before putting it in the cooler.

Cool. Thanks y'all. I was leaning hard that direction anyway. I've certainly ate a lot sketchier stuff before. 😂

But I did have food poisoning one time back in the early '00s eating sushi at a questionable spot in Kansas City. That's not an experience I seek to relive.

Coming down in temp. from 205*F....after wrapping and in a cooler....to 130*F; the internal meat is still safe because it is still intact. AND you can still pasteurize at 130*F. As a precaution, you could reheat the surface of the brisket to above 140*F for about 30 minutes to an hour, just in case....the surface is where any issues would arise. Or better yet, hit it with a torch to flash heat the surface...or on a blazing hot grill unless it is too tender to handle on a grill, then use a torch.

It would be different warming from say 70*F to 130*F.

Reactions: linvillegorge
Coming down in temp. from 205*F....after wrapping and in a cooler....to 130*F; the internal meat is still safe because it is still intact. AND you can still pasteurize at 130*F. As a precaution, you could reheat the surface of the brisket to above 140*F for about 30 minutes to an hour, just in case....the surface is where any issues would arise. Or better yet, hit it with a torch to flash heat the surface...or on a blazing hot grill unless it is too tender to handle on a grill, then use a torch.

It would be different warming from say 70*F to 130*F.
It's been in the oven at 170 since about 8:30AM. Gonna chuck it back in the cooler again at the top of the hour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky